Re: [CBQ] Re: Grain-Hauling Boxcars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Grain-Hauling Boxcars
From: "Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 13:33:40 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

thanks Leo...I often have thought that what you said would be the basis for handling claims today...The matter of Shipper Owned Equipment as well as the fact that shipping today is done under contract which, I assume, is negotiated between shippers and the railroads on an individual basis.

In the old days when everything moved under a Bill OF LADING...except in the case of livestock which moved under a LIVESTOCK CONTRACT..which made some exceptions to what the usual BOL provided in the way of carrier liability which provided that the CARRIER WAS LIABLE with these exceptions...Let's see if I can remember them...they were.  In the absence of one of these exceptions the carrier was totally liable for any loss and/or damage to lading entrusted to its care.    It was a case of  "Guilty unless you could "prove" one of these exceptions...  That's why railroads "voluntarily" paid most all claims....  However, early on, in my Freight Claims days I learNed the "ever popular" weasel statement in the event that some hypothetical situation was presented.  Those lawyer like words were  "EACH CLAIM MUST BE HANDLED ON ITS OWN MERITS".And these HYPOTHETICALS  were often posited by those who considered...in the words of one of the attorneys who handled our Freight Claim legal matters....That I was, in his words  "A WASTREL"

Exceptions to total carrier liability

1.  Act of the Shipper
 2  Act of the Consignee
3.  Inherent vice of the goods
4. Act of providence
5.  I can't remember the 5th one.

I'm told...although it was well before my time ....that no claims were paid for lading damaged in the Kansas City Flood of Friday July 13, 1951.  It was also said that some matters went to court alleging that the carrier did not use  "due diligence" in getting the loads out of the way of the flood.

There were even during my time stories  "Noised about...to use Biblical Terminology...regarding the hundreds of loads of fresh fruits and vegetables and meat which lay rotting in the summer sun for some time after said flood.

Pete