Re: [CBQ] Re: Grain-Hauling Boxcars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Grain-Hauling Boxcars
From: "larry.graus@opc.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 07 Mar 2017 14:16:02 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1488896163; bh=N5f5jXs5OTYNugCyk10kZCcDAiQ0gV43IdQi630XiGg=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=x6TP7euVW2uJrKxfXdFB39Px0m02LFts7C9dh3Y9N+2gn62ZugVApkqhNKQnHQ/zv/gaadN46/v2HEz0E9O2mB+KqpNcr/5lGeajeFND4zBy1LJ4emF2TprqBC/5XwiflXbSbKmoGtFUwQayWzuW0CYKoGn3SOWTYIeT6ZYmsn0=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I was surprised to see that the grain samples used for grading a shipment were kept in canvas bags open to the air. The current practice for holding coal samples is done with plastic bags to retain the moisture. I realize that plastic bags were not available at the time these movies were made, but it seems to me that sealed metal cans would have been a better choice. After all, moisture content is/was one of the bases for payment, was it not?

I can certainly see where "shrinkage" could occur between the "country weight" and the weight "as received" at the terminal if the relative humidity along the route of haul was low (as it is more than likely to be in the fall and winter in the northern climes). As the grain moved to the terminal, it would tend to lose moisture in these conditions. It seems that weight would be lost en route, which might actually have the effect of bettering the grade of the grain. So what the elevator lost in weight might have been regained in an improved grade.

Does anyone know how the grading process has been changed since these movies were made?

LarryG

---In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, <public@...> wrote :

Anyone who wants to the details of a working early elevator (as well as moving a
boxcar and loading it) should watch this fascinating video...

http://www.nfb.ca/film/grain_elevator/

Cheers!

Jan Kohl
www.castlegraphics.com