[CBQ] Seeing Stuff with New Eyes

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Seeing Stuff with New Eyes
From: "'Charlie Vlk' cvlk@comcast.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 13:42:39 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1459968196; bh=OxuC5lQ00tWQk3+LYkMtqvOnlUod0FPe629JzHCSPBc=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=zekKoSCs3Y5uf56caMP3LUu85v+fekfDSX4veiObMI1UIQRyaZoAGanqBeAjvCEcgjkMOecyggscDfTpaFBamGId8ho/OSqWRZfQQnYaFPbb7wmmYjfD7LcyzPLxU2SyY8kH6CVDFMhXjkmfJ0dTwja10OfGRlpNBRBq70zPSPE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Since we’re in the mode of “seeing stuff with new eyes” I would like to chime in on my current research project….Aurora-Chicago Stations (and other interesting stuff along the way).

I pulled out my Brookfield Illinois-A History book and noticed an interlocking tower that I had never seen before in one of the photos between Prairie Avenue and Maple Avenue.   Likewise with my eyes sharpened to see relevant material I came across some Joe Douda notes that I had but never fully appreciated that add to the project.

I am still missing images for some depots…..the first Lisle station building (built 1863, burned 1874), Belmont (pre-1920s??), La Grange, Stone Avenue pre-1900, freight houses at Stone Avenue and Fifth Avenue, and West Lyons Station,  Freight Station at Brookfield / Grossdale, Douglas Park, Hawthorne, Cicero, Morton Park, Clyde, Blue Island Avenue, Ashland Avenue, Western Avenue (station buildings including south of main, north of main, and jct. station with CC&IC, “Chicago” station at 14th & Canal (Depot Street), Prairie Avenue Station on St. Charles Air Line, and photo of original St. Charles Air Line Bridge.

If anyone has any images or other material to share that isn’t otherwise readily available on early Aurora-Chicago subjects I would appreciate hearing from you off list.   Early Chicago area photos of the railroad are difficult to come by because of the Chicago Fire and Headquarters Building Fire.  I’ve done local historical societies, Newberry, Chicago Public Library, extensive deep internet searches, and have feelers out with other researchers in the BRHS and have gotten a lot of assistance from them, but there might be some good stuff in somebody’s collection that I don’t know about.

Thanks,
Charlie Vlk

Posted by: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>