Re: [CBQ] St Francis Branch

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] St Francis Branch
From: "Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 12:27:45 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1450978067; bh=BH4E1LinFP/wmjnRzuZakNDF2zi9ACyF8yiz0Sf8wKM=; h=To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=iSza2EdF9wTQchzVpvblBXunUv2WlGez6bS4oSghRYzioifcqh1pfp5yX2ZE0aF5Cz+Fvc7V8lNFWFBzxyvTdkmqdZc00SeN1C2yBsyGKk2JK9hlNmZDwHh7WbIZ4a3b7zYr1uh00jCIpMSHFU5wLD/cuZN5AfH9kIhhNFb0iPc=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hol  Technically, those "Cardboard" doors were known as "Paper Grain Doors"...two main manufacturers   "Signode" and "International Stanley".  This "changeover from Wood to the "paper doors" was going on during my period as Manager Freight Claims" at the Rock Island.  The arcane nature of the handling of grain claims involving the different types of doors and various methods of "coopering" cars was a real eye opener for me.

Representatives of the above mentioned manufacturers attended the various Freight Claim "conferences" , supplying "hospitality rooms" and other inducements to "cause" us Claim guys to tout to our "managemnts" the virtues of their products.  On the RI there was kind of a "division of territories" for the different manufactures...I think IIRC that one manufacturers doors were used north of Kansas City and the other South of KC.

Your mention of covered hoppers brought back another "recollection" ie  When the CH began to be used with increasing rapidity in the transportation of grain in a very rare case of railroad "solidarity"..all of the carriers got together and "conspired" to deny any carrier liability  for grain loss from CH's. except in the case of defective equipment where an actual leak was observed.  There was much "weeping and gnashing of teeth" from the grain industry, but ultimately the carriers prevailed. and nobody "caved".

I'll be happy to take questions from anyone who has any interest as to how the above mentioned claims were handled when grain was moved in boxcars...It's too lengthy and "mysterious" for me to explain without specific questions.

Pete