RE: [CBQ] Left handed engines

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Left handed engines
From: "'Charlie Vlk' cvlk@comcast.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 16:21:35 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1444857833; bh=VLNsLshgBT8RgdUKsMZ4oedRMrdKkSJ0u96vwC8rCOg=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=ITwBTc2WjS5SOtjVwjDinDMH9V+X5SZqLfguXhXJ0TwoI2//ZryfcxAc9dTzV/HL1Hz49/vnlRJlessNjNknAAZWcCTRkYdff8D2qW6mj3/yApQ4146QfavLYThO40oTzCp+efc2rnuH5f6RQdAkVdLbeoSoGG4HKlsgKELo+J8=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Rupert-

The Right Handed Side of the Road Convention was established by the Teamster sitting on the left horse (before controlling teams from the wagon was established) to allow the “normal” way of mounting from the left side of the horse AND to allow the use of the right hand for handling the whip.

The engineer being on the right was a reflection of the signals being on the right side of the road (having them on the left would make it difficult to place in double track territory).  Obviously center placement would not work because of the boiler.

Double track was a concept well established prior to the first railroads reaching Chicago.   There were exceptions like the C&NW which established left hand running not because of English financing (all early railroads were financed by England) but rather the stations being on the north side of the track and it being inconvenient for commuters going eastbound into Chicago having to cross over to the south track for inbound trains.  The issue may have been not well established by the time the Burlington built their line in 1864 but apparently they used the right hand convention established by the roads in most of the US.

To salvage some CB&Q content….

….in my study of early Chicago-Aurora stations I found two stations that were originally built on the north side of the tracks…. Lisle was always on the North side of the Tracks and Hinsdale was originally North of the tracks.      Also, Downers Grove and Riverside both had their stations in the middle of passing tracks and end of double track.

Charlie Vlk

P.S.-  There was debate as late as the turn of the century about whether the engineer should have a seatbox or be required (as per English practice) to stand whilst operating the machine.  Would dual controls have been the result if this prevailed?

Charlie

No, it was the combination of right handed engineer on right handed track (or left and left for that matter) rather than putting the engineer in the middle, as is the case with vehicles.  If you follow the notion that teamsters sat on the left rear horse to keep their right arm free and that they kept to the right side of the road, why weren’t engineers placed on the left side of the cab?  The follow-up is where was the first double track installed, and which side was used?  Absolutely irrelevant to the mighty Burlington but interesting none the less!

(For any potential tourists heading down-under, let me assure you that driving on the “wrong” side isn’t that difficult, having driven in USA, Canada and Europe)

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ