[CBQ] Re: GN Unit's East of Twin Cities

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: GN Unit's East of Twin Cities
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 15:04:04 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1395605047; bh=OGz0SJVBIMFM+ROmvYmbWUY1+Z709JVHlP6D3KcoIR0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=Ln1MYN3VE4Qmt04otMtWnX0K+Mdt8BkT0h2GxUzcCGmIrD56u/psHIGafUPleYHjOhZ65EucUEtEkPPIVR36IDcs+s2NGVJXysoVI7qFShsxkK+8qHYUxwOUUJls1tSpVgf6kHvb0V2LFdwgyeRHPiQGGafUsPEbqrtr9HHH4us=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Tom,

>From my observations in the 1960s, new locomotives shipping from La Grange on
>the Q were shipped dead in train. The Indiana Harbor Belt would pick up the
>new locomotives on a southbound move and take them to their yard where they
>would be coupled into a northbound train. The northbound IHB train would then
>drop the locomotives off at Congress Park. At Congress Park, the new
>locomotives would be picked up by a westbound Q train and usually placed at
>the front immediately behind the road power. From there, they would be taken
>to Dayton's Bluff and then delivered to the GN at Minneapolis Jct. by a Q
>transfer. As I said earlier, before 1970, no RR took delivery of new power in
>Illinois unless they had no other alternative. Avoid sales tax

New Q power was shipped the same way except they were hauled dead in train to
Lincoln where they were excepted and placed in service. I believe Santa Fe
pulled their new power to Ft. Madison, IA for acceptance. Other RRs hauled or
had their new power hauled to one of their shops outside of Illinois. When the
new Illinois state constitution was enacted, the sales tax on heavy equipment
was dropped and almost every RR took delivery of new power in the Chicago area
and then arranged to work it to their RR in a horsepower hour exchange.

The only locomotives that I recall seeing hauled within a train that were not
coupled to the road power were Q switchers en route to a shop for servicing. Of
course, I didn't see every train in those days.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO