[CBQ] Signals on the Q

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Signals on the Q
From: "Nelson Moyer" <ku0a@mchsi.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 12:31:51 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1381339696; bh=X0YsSQwamF5wuM1LKk8Yv5QEc2bKqZa8h9tg4xJJ0zU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:To:Message-ID:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:Importance:Thread-Index:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=lSgnwW2mlOpDuVd12gApOrCJo1XKUYYGDEszLg5BlEaUe2L8sfHGZ1toixDB6h9cAHz+mkF6HlkIzfEBM7xysB72fN4YktXq9MmjSjwhlXMpMfqyW3rApZ8whAf14R8cqjcuMI3RoudjdBadPuNxJYvS/6Ftac80tt+wfVVsKWA=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

What signal system did CB&Q use in Burlington between the Mississippi River bridge and the West Burlington hill in 1953? Wood tower was still operational then. I have one picture from the late 1940s showing a three target block signal in Burlington. I think the main was controlled by timetable and train order then, so how were train order signals given? Were the target signals in Burlington controlled by track detectors or by Wood tower?

I’ve heard that the Washington branch line was dark, but I have several photos of the Washington branch line taken in the BN era that show upper quadrant semaphores with three position lenses, and a single target signal at the Rock Island grade crossing near Havre, and near the M&StL crossing and interchange near Winfield. The M&StL crossing was gate protected, with primacy accorded to the M&StL, so I don’t know why there would be a target block signal there. I’ve heard that the Q used lower quadrant train order signals, but I haven’t found any pictures circa 1950 to determine if that’s true by that date. I don’t know when the upper quadrant semaphores were installed on the Washington branch line.

I’d like to hear from anyone with firsthand knowledge of the signaling systems used in Burlington and on the Washington, IA branch line circa 1950 so I can design the signal system on my layout.

Nelson Moyer