[CBQ] Re: Modern Locomotive Roster and Numbering system

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Modern Locomotive Roster and Numbering system
From: "thommack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 16:13:14 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1359821596; bh=vYxou5FLAdyiZu8tPMzuGFE9yyJFQ3SeJ1ssk6klnKg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=AFOj4hiwEqT/1shiQpzueX58KjbbiHdbuWKrmS6TkShPK8S/ec/cWlUCXSb1YHy+UJiSOefM93yxailem5FnT/q4QoCAJ55Ph1lEi3kDNxT4spTWZZcF4aF+XGYjQdfCdGO1VXP2mN32pvCPc+Nh0ghKvEbstY1lrq+11B9rwjk=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
(I have reposted the following without changing the subject line so all replies
to Dwight are properly linked by Yahoo)

Railroads many times kept their numbering system consistent over time, and if
you look at the final Q roster you can get a good feel where "new" locomotives
would end up on a modern Q roster.

First, let's look at the overall scheme, then we will break it down as to where
modern power could/should fall:

For freight motors, the Q used a 3-digit numbering system. So your modern
freight motors would use 3 digits numbers.

Switchers were 4-digit numbers, in the 9100 to 9400 series.

Finally, all passenger units were in the 9900 series.

Remember that as older equipment is retired, those number slots open up. A
common prototype practice is to renumber older locomotives to a single "new"
block of numbers so as to free up entire blocks of numbers. Our "new" Q roster
will look at the potential of doing this.

To make it simple, let's start with passenger units. The Q passenger units
could be broken into these groups:

E5 - 9909-9915B (A, B, and no suffixes)
E7 - 9916A-9937A (A and B suffixes)
E8 - 9937B-9949A (A and B suffixes)
E7 - 9949B
Open - 9950-9963
E8 - 9964-9977 (No suffixes)
E9 - 9985A-9989B (A and B suffixes)
E9 - 9990-9995 (No Suffixes)

By the BNSF merger the E5's were gone and 9950-9963 were still open. Assuming
that the Q had dropped the letter suffixes, which they had on the last E9's
9990-9905, and that the E7's were all being retired as new passenger equipment
came in, that would have opened up 9900-9937, as well as 9950-9963 for new
passenger equipment. So you have open numbers for 52 new passenger locomotives
right there. Since the FP45's pre-date the Dash 8-40BWH's, I would have put the
first order in 9900-9915 series. (BTW, how many FP45's did your new Q buy?) I
would have then put subsequent orders in the 9916-9963 range as the E7's and
E8's were retired (you said you only had E9's). If I were the Q CMO, 14 of the
best running E8's of the 9937B-9949A series would have been renumbered to
4-digit no-suffix numbers in the 9950-9963 slot, just below the 9964-9977 E8's,
to free up the entire 9900-9949 number slots for the new FP45's and Dash
8-40BWH's. The worst of the E8's would be retired with the new power coming in.

So there you have your passenger roster.

To keep the post from getting too long I will do switchers and freight motors
separate.

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com