Re: [CBQ] Story POsts

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Story POsts
From: archie hayden <klinerarch@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 19:38:15 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1359509901; bh=fs2mLB13Liius+7rAeKlD46qlIRwz9t16aszJE0ts/A=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=3HLS4GXgKm16LRqK8nP1AbwALeVWWPdDU3tS3KxmjwLa3bPSgHydBhvd6XYIeb7J6yqLCsYhCIYLsz1aqIJoB2tl6Y8gye0cnAJZ5Vr599nxHbAqbsia+d3kDVbclPscVoJOfosgw77SqNtWonaz1yFrjzDOWiBZcKrfnMLTOmY=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Louis and Pete and group,  Here is my bell story which was told to me
by an old engineer who is no longer with us, but his bell is and I
have that information stored in my treasure chest for a future
transaction.  Let me start from the beginning, every fall the Ladies
Auxiliary of the Locomotive Engineers and Firemen lodge here in
Hannibal would set up a food stand for the Fall Festival celebration
and each year they would go down to the round house and talk the
master mechanic out of a brass engine bell to ring at their food
stand.  After the festival they would tear down their stand and store
the lumber plus haul the bell back to the round house.  This went on
for several years until the master mechanic finally told the ladies to
keep the d___ bell because of all the trouble it caused him.  So they
put the bell and the lumber in the barn of one of the engineers and
after a few more years the Fall Festivals died off and the bell and
lumber languished a few years gathering dust in the barn.  That is
until my friend had his wife make an offer for the used lumber at a
lodge meeting and bought it for $50.  When he drove out to the barn to
gather his buy, on a day the other engineer was working out of town,
he picked up more than wood.  You guessed it, he loaded up the bell
too.  Boy did the sparks fly when the barn owner got wind of this.
But my friend had a bill of sale and I don't think those two ever
spoke again.  He mounted it on a post in his back yard and after he
passed away his daughter moved the bell to her home in Springfield,
Ill.  As I recall, the master mechanic's name was Harvey Niemeyer.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com