Re: [CBQ] Story POsts

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Story POsts
From: LZadnichek@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:28:58 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1359581340; bh=l76xrZaaPca1XJyVPaQYcRAzYSbwEGleij6yhGtDRJo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Full-name:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=Jp4Vn6sBS4KZcB7tKK1KTAYBhASSWhfxN9h83/VKcbM+riw8cL/97kRIo3N7XVR7At8TvbMnOmc2JQ25oe7k1i11SJ4+ZmyW82qyZlkcs5jWML019PxtL+Z13fRtpgI5+rKejeaGiXcUnc5HathGV1pLvHHiLMvWM63g9+c8Oa0=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hol - I had meant to answer back before now. I have (somewhere) the bills of sale with dollar amounts for all my Q hardware. Trusting to memory (may be not such a good thing when it come to money), I recall that the three front mount O5a bells cost dad something like $50 each. The Galesburg Storekeeper loaded them into steel tubs and shipped all to the Q freight house in Ottumwa. Since we had a rental house there, the bells resided in a secure portion of the freight house until dad was transferred to Chicago. Then, the bells were shipped to, I believe, Freight House 9 in Cicero and stayed there until dad purchased a home in Downers Grove. Then, a truck brought the bells to our new house and they were man-handled into the basement for display. It was just a little unusual for a Q official to have not one, but three O5a bells, so they were always proudly shown-off to family members and railroad friends over for a little Rule G on a Saturday night. Dad was familiar with all three O5a's that the bells had come from as he had rode them as a headend brakeman during his trainman days on the C&I. Dad always said some of the best sleep he ever got was sitting on the brakeman's seat of an O5 at speed on the C&I. So, the bells were just not "bells," but precious keepsakes of his trainman days during World War Two. The bells really, really meant a lot to him and I can genuinely appreciate that all these years later. The M4a headlight came from Eola as a birthday present when I was, I think, age 17. That would've been in 1963. I do not remember what it cost, but it couldn't been much. To this day, I do not know how the headlight got to Eola, because it was sitting alongside a huge pile of cut-up heavy iron. There was a second headlight also there, a Pyle National with winged number boards," but since it did not come with its huge mounting backet, as did the M4a headlight, I chose the headlight with the bracket. There has been some discussion over the years as to the Q cutting-up a couple of "large" steam engines at Eola rather than selling them to NWS&W in Sterling. In fact, my dad said as much. An O1a was definitely scrapped there as artifacts and images of it appeared on EBay a year or so ago. Maybe a M4a also got the torch there. Can you confirm or deny this? I've always wondered. Anyway, the two whistles came from the Galesburg Storekeeper about the same time, but without any indication of what locomotives they were removed from. I do not remember what they cost. Will have to find the bill of sale. Dad had specifically requested a whistle from an O5a and one from an O1a. The iron top five chime has got to be an O5 whistle and the brass three chime has got to be from an O1a, but dad never could find out just exactly what engines the whistles came from....and he tried, but the roundhouse laborers didn't record the engine numbers when they removed the whistles. I've also got a builder's plate off an O5a, but that's a story for another day - Louis