[CBQ] Re: Abbreviation quiz

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Abbreviation quiz
From: "mdeckergwtcnet" <mdecker@gwtc.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 22:28:22 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1357424904; bh=bVrL+vkQRtPbSKmYe+LR9sKMYQAtEFSYS2Vmv7yrVw4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=5AqoEkMYWzubpR4Iix8yS9COfFXJpHN58yuXzjEOOAT/ULG5b//0Em2GFSfLJYcPlRcNSZpJTcdHRg3X0IoPJGY+ZbC0o+zrcqtu/M8gyHP8VHjJNDa2iZ5qwg0XzOY83BWcu+kKM+jaCg2B/sIdL1tDzckQQax3poiRG0QEO8c=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Jpslhedgpeth@... wrote:

> Just as I thought Mike.   RE:  carlengths...Used to be you figured about a
> "rail length" plus a lttle for a C/L...in days of mostly 40 ft cars.  Now I
> guess everything almost is well above that number.
>

> Pete

Ya, Pete.

When I hired out we had a pole line.  There were 40 poles to the mile, and I
figured 2-1/2 cars to the pole.  Everybody else was taught that when they hired
out, so even with new guys, the car counts were pretty close.  Of course, if
the Conductor or Brakeman didn't like the Engineer, those last five or ten cars
could go by pretty fast :>)

Now, you've got nothin'.  The guys on the ground have to guess, and the seats
on the new motors are lots farther off the ground, and you can't see the track
right in front of the motors, so you don't have the same reference point as on
the SD's and Geeps.

I used to be pretty good at judging my speed by the poles.  One time,
Trainmaster Turner was riding home with me, after the Company had run them all
through a modified Engineer school so they could run if we were on strike.  I
had a bad order speed recorder on the lead motor and I'd had plenty of practice
"counting seconds" on the poles. Bruce was riding the second motor, and when he
came up at Edgemont he told me that I ran closer to speed without a speed
recoreder than he could with one :>)

Mike

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com