[CBQ] Re: Naperville Train Station

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Naperville Train Station
From: "Joe" <mp36er@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 03:56:12 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echo; t=1355198176; bh=0koUl2lgh5oLsKBKDCoMJ8Oa2TJDAx8qTUxZdOJThYE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Qr8l6WEm4kgOQfiaSn/Hg3XBhyiGkiR04wkHqDChDpHkFL/TxUsqRCY94FrwDzHBg9K7b16zt+y5R/sTob2T2eifpcd5mfZLL7t7BTUHhYpsT296Rom0NEPNSvsL2JQr2A9LNbvRlwhvAipeWlfSeD6ncseZdfjbtqyFHFPGCfo=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that back when the
4th Main track was in service between Downers Grove and Eola, that Belmont,
Lisle, and Naperville each had two island platforms, in order to serve all four
tracks with just two platforms per station. When the 4th main was removed (the
northernmost track), the southern island platforms remained since it provided
flexibility and it was just easier to leave the track alignment and platforms
the way they were.

With the Belmont underpass project complete, only Lisle retains its wide track
centers. With the removal of the crossovers at Downers Grove and East Lisle,
flexibility has been greatly reduced.

In regards to boarding passengers on the middle track, Route 59 has three
half-crossings, at Naperville passengers must walk all the way down to Loomis
Street (a rare occurrence since the East and West Naperville crossovers provide
easy routing to the platforms), Lisle has one half-crossing at the east end,
and the newly-completed Belmont has two, one in front of the station and one
where the old pedestrian crossing was located.

Joe LeMay

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com