[CBQ] National Silica

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] National Silica
From: herrick@krausonline.com
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 15:25:34 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echo; t=1355066738; bh=OZl18L5qahqgYi68bQfYKiCnhfxV9MolqA4Ux5lbMFI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=r6lQ+rk3pdfrg6iKbz9N5UByyGMceu/sCEeZfZ1nz60gAMak/CizfmsRqEOZsK7viGZE165sLsTwhzHWQfgdKz+yt+r6Ib7orFj+FFE5z3Ct5THnHvdPPrRGtCBDf7IwBc7iYFZRK1S64UvROtvKebLNDUjm5Ehivkljvun8Vp8=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
This is for Leo or any of our listers who worked Oregon back in the day.

My 1967 track chart shows two tracks into National Silica.

I assume you had to push the set-outs ahead of the locomotive, but once there,
did you pull everything out and set them on the main and then push the set-outs
in?

Were there designated spots or did each track have a designated purpose, or did
it matter?

Bill Diven's Oregon photo file has a 1961 photo of the plant showing far more
boxcars than covered hoppers. Were these for bagged silica or was the product
loaded in them like grain? A very early Railmodel Journal Issue had a story on
the silica plant at Ottawa and it said the silica was loaded in boxcars though
the wastage was high.

And finally, did the waycar tag along or stay at Oregon?

Phew! Thanks, gang.

Bob Herrick

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com