Re: [CBQ] Fwd: Away from home accomodations/was Fire Insurance

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Fwd: Away from home accomodations/was Fire Insurance
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 14:18:43 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1346091530; bh=MEc/jvP2ZfGRimK/3VoPeZt7/3qUnHHrD6vDw25IeWk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=uNQmn4dZSivX85KZcY2OjO50vJqeQvAoCXb14Qn6DUxjnxtSzrxiLmdoJnBfeLNTtF3/5tPxsYqaIKZR8Go/lY4S4QNGSWo1WuxhKoWiLqxuyK3N0fRcxUlYG01hG5fw
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Well said Dr. S....whoever you are

I often think of exactly those things which you reiterated....In my own case, even though I had completed my active duty military service...(6 months in the Transportation Corps...no combat or "troop duty"...but enuf to know what military life was like).  At age 24 I was an Assistant Traimmaster at El REno OK on the Rock Island...subject to the Militaristic attitude of most "old head" railroad officers at that time and subject to being "chewed out" at the drop of a hat for anything and everything that had gone one.  It was n'tnew to me since I had been around railroads from back to as early as I can remember and knew what I was getting into...

However out of the numerous young men...no women at that time...who started the "Training Program"..;.by the time a couple of years had gone by most had departed for greener pastures...The Miliary like atmosphere plus the wierd...not to say very very long hours were more than what had been bargained for......

As far as "giving the railroads a shot"....I quote here someone whose name I have long since forgotten..."You don't TRY the railroad business....It TRIES YOU".

Today's railroaders don't have a clue as to how the railroad business was 50 years ago...You think it's hard now....and  indeed the hours are still wierd and long.   But the officers work under a "relaxed dress code" and have time off similar to what most industries have...In the "old days"..railroad officers functioned with no scheduled "time off"...At the RI it wasn't until D.B. Jenks came along in the late fifties that officers got 2 days a month OFF.  Shortly after I arrived in 1959 that was extended to 3 days off a month.  That's not 3 days a month AND WEEKENDS...It was 3 days period..The rest of the grind was 24/7 every day of the month...including Sundays, Holidays, Birthdays.

I'm really surprised that any member of the present generation would even consider the railroad business  (operating dept).

Pete.....living in the past and loving it.