[CBQ] Re: CB&Q Lakes

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Lakes
From: "domelinerdude" <domelinerdude@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 22:21:59 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1300315746; bh=HKnd8sjDVrMAuVUMZ6UGqqT6XBnnPoPBhAAqI0FDA/o=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=eWqeYnKQzyy9vRiquHZ38MCqjT3gCWuMOBll7fJU5j4IvnRBIPl3CO8lHS9MHcckD6+TNYCG8E8SYarV2s+H5BpRBZpCdHKmbTer4WZOvL+9CTnCxi5fg04TCVfbGJ54
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
My Grandfather, John Hanrahan, who died in the 1920's lived on the family farm
located east of Cameron, between Cameron and Kidder, MO, very near the CB&Q
right of way.  During one period of his life, my grandfather reportedly had the
job of assisting in the task of watering CB&Q Steam locomotives enroute through
the area at a water tower (I assume)that has probably been gone 100 years, next
to a creek.  (Now sadly the line itself is gone as well, between Brookfield and
St. Joe. The family farm is still there.)

As my late Uncle told me some 30 years ago, my Grandfather back in the day
would typically be doing farm chores, such as plowing, and hear the train
whistle,put down the plow and reins and go trackside to assist in the watering
process. I am not sure why the train fireman could not do this himself. This
was likely in the late 1800's. He later went to work on a CB&Q track gang while
working the farm.

On a side note, my grandfather named my dad after a good friend and buddy on
the track gang named "Hubert."  Which as a junior, is my name today.

Hubert

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com