[CBQ] RE: Minot, ND Hump Yard

To: "'Chuck Hatler'" <gnhistory07@live.com>, <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] RE: Minot, ND Hump Yard
From: "Steve Haas" <Goatfisher2@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:48:46 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1300128555; bh=sGj3tqyZsJgZ2apjPP70Se5/6NHRaHYzvAuoeEgLjyI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:References:In-Reply-To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=NwC5R1+gT6l4vXvmo29brgHrEf5maP/4xloDQvI34zBElKIWvQQRQKe1nju+vgo8QOU1iprOXT/gJlgLEygENk2ytiASk/OzlX2B2+5JzDOZ/q204c2pwFMGUjSiVjTc
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
<<Steve, and Friends of the Q,

Just a little late in replying.

Steve, glad you proofread better than I type.  Yes, the tail end was on the
WEST end.  My error.

Thanks,

Chuck Hatler

KC MO>>

Not to worry!

Back in my COBOL days I shared workspace with a darned good programmer.  His
one frustration with his job is that he couldn't spot typo's in his code
that were giving him unexpected results.  I could hear the frustration
growing as he ran code through debug for cycle after cycle but couldn't
locate the error.  After spending a couple of hours he'd cuss and swear one
more time and ask me for help.  Invariably, I'd find his problem in 20 - 30
seconds.  Not because I was any better at the job than he, but because I
wasn't making the assumptions about the code that he was.

For the former and current (are there any of those left?) among us, the
typical problem would be an IF statement, followed by a slew of MOVE
statements.  Invariably, there would be a period after one of the MOVE
statements about half way down the list of move statements.  Bob had been
looking at that code for hours, but couldn't see that period (.).  A fresh
set of eyes could.

Best,

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA