[CBQ] Re: Minot, ND Hump Yard

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Minot, ND Hump Yard
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 08:27:58 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1299594493; bh=DdHRlMzMZxs0Q6yzqP++0/MiA51BTFIDJ3F+SFu4QHw=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=uqp+rSkbCAzoZIhRRi+Hz5aaefuOoep8fLsuhd5w0oaQB6SFqBu86CwgbVFoApi4ker1yRP/QP+6p2rnGhE1SiC/KyvPGqWe2MSHsd2QnGGVizjGKT0F/nTsynL2OP9L
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Chuck,

As I read through the various posts on the issue of Gavin Yard's
viability and purpose, I think the basis for my comment had more to
do with the construction of the hump there, not the existence of the
yard, itself. As I said in my post, yesterday, the comment came from
a Bn employee in the mid 1980's. I think his reference was really
about the hump. (By the way, I finally recalled his name. The Air
brake superintendent was Art Fiddler, a crusty old gentleman who had
years of experience in air brake systems and railroading in general.
Guess my Alzhiemer's hasn't fully set in!)

Looking at many of the recent posts, it appears that the primary
function or use of Gavin may have been grain car sorting. If that
were the case, grain car switching is usually a flat yard operation,
not requiring a hump because the cars are generally sorted by grain
type, quality and demand, not destination only. Even today, most RRs
switch and block grain cars, empty or full, in flat yard operations.
My conductor son on the U.P. does that frequently at Osawatomie, KS.
In retrospect, I think Mr. Fiddler's comment at the time was that the
hump, not the yard should not have been built.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com