[CBQ] Re:fourth main

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:fourth main
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 08:05:24 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1299593136; bh=hOYDHld23hYR+9UaIktByc7kdXW2jt6EFhiTlpGqJgE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=mXc9eaRZJTlvuZQXM1dK/INgoTrGZqCZVNdVont6eFAyjxLA0eZHK2xMUer3cMr8x13IsK9wflptiwgajaCPqO8VNkXH0hMhPLic0OjQ/7mwHAGeiQWFVjVCucz4mvqD
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo,

I agree and am sure that, as the Depression deepened, the RRs in
general and the Q specifically looked for ways to save expenses. (In
Overton's book, the financial downturn is called a "recession" in
1930.) Guess they really didn't know what was coming. As frugal as
the Q was, it is odd that they would spend money in 1934 at the depth
of the Depression to remove track that was in good condition.
Possibly, they were acting frugally and removed the rail to complete
a more pressing need elsewhere on the system. Certainly, with
business down, they may have had manpower available to do the work
that would otherwise be laid off. It certainly would be interesting
to know the decision making process that led to the track removal so
soon after being installed.

A possible reason for the removal may have to do with the change in
top management at the time. Fredrick Williamson was president at the
time of installation. He left in 1931 to take the top job at New York
Central. Ralph Budd became the new president, coming from the Great
Northern where, among other responsibilities, he apparently oversaw
activities on the Q. Maybe there was a difference of opinion about
the need for the installation of  the fourth main. Food for thought.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com