Re: [CBQ] XB-1 Progress

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] XB-1 Progress
From: "cvlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 14:24:25 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1288985089; bh=Cm+jkd5mb/cKlc4xubVutnKDXYXP+wTywQBDP5z9Wvc=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=cHfs4NwAJZ9SLfMCZCJZq5o+RccCYB8RXo5cHERrxqO44UPidNQgSLwu3tZu+78fPxhUwIUY1Vwu62i/ORS1Yy5TfaQUmitRzyvuhvG1VH1Fz89VT7XLRC/SWf4BS+Sm
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
 What has Rupert started here????

Are there any others interested in early CB&Q equipment and history?
Recently, I've been doing research in pre-1900 CB&Q equipment and finding there
is less information available than other railroads enjoy.... but there is stuff
out there.

Current projects include:

1878   Tubular frame box cars..... 10 purchased from National Tube Works, 2
improved cars built to NTW / LaMothe patents by the Q, and one different,
unknown car

1884    Dynamometer Car Z.... and Dynamometer Car Y ??? built in 1885.
Haven't been able to dig up drawings or additional photos of either in their
original configuration nor documentation on why the second car was built and
what happened to the Z after it was used in the West Burlington Hill Air Brake
Trials.

Early CB&Q Locomotives..... Wooten Fire Box 2-8-0s..

Early CB&Q Waycars..... pre- 1880 pattern cars (maybe with very narrow and
short length cupolas) in both 4 and 8 wheel types     Photos/drawings of NW1
Bobbers
     (drawings for 28' six window cars.. do any exist??)

Details of the grade from Congress Park to La Grange Road.   Pre-1895
construction of the underpass for the Chicago, Hammond & Western this was the
ruling grade east of the Mississippi..... roughly the same as the parallel
Chicago West Towns streetcar and Burlington Avenue grades!!!

Information on the track north from Hawthorne Yard to Grant Locomotive
Works...... the track to the racetrack north on Crawford Avenue......

Long term use of the CB&Q by the Illinois Central Iowa Division to get into
Chicago prior to the completion of the Chicago, Madison & Northern ......

"Birdcage" Pullman Cars    (a design for unusual layout for compartments and
open sections patented by Perkins)

I haven't abandoned more recent interests either..... I have a blockbuster
1940's topic that I am not going to disclose until I have material in hand on
it that is a real dandy
that I just got a lead on.......   and we're still lacking information on those
BREX Express Reefers that had "cream" compartments.

What areas are others working on????

Charlie Vlk

  I've finish building an XB-1 barrel car using scale lumber and board by
  board construction, and I'm ready to install the brake system. I can't
  decide whether or not to add a B end grab iron ladder and brake platform. If
  the car was originally built in 1889 or 1890 as Rupert reports, it probably
  didn't have end ladders or a brake platform. The car was rebuilt from a
  horse car to a barrel car in 1907, but there is no information about the
  extent of the rebuild or whether or not an end ladder and brake platform
  were added. I've searched the web for picture of freight cars circa 1907
  without finding any pictures that include the B end, so there's not much
  upon which to base a decision. The model is almost ready to paint and decal,
  so I have to make a determination soon. I'm interested in any information
  that would help decide whether or not to add the ladder and platform. I
  would also appreciate a diagram of Q practice circa 1907 for KC brake
  component arrangement.

  Nelson

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com