Re: [CBQ] Re: The Round-up

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: The Round-up
From: "cvlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 14:07:52 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1271704072; bh=0fppA81hmrWu1dyV1PlPdPmHgpwYoAKNLnq/Ii7YuKo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=k4aN3myQSLC9x5S07Ge/lXWam8hQtACHgKyGV9SAZPHSvJ2tEagM9jDzwxdloo+Vr5qkD8PnZT4lks6hhK2isd4K/6JXXYQb5od7sB3hEKYYjXYxC5RIWML0/opz+BG6
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bob-

A technical amplification of one part of your statement.

While it is highly likely that the Aurora Shops prefabricated components for
both the 4000 and 4001 Aeolus locomotives, much of the work was done on-site at
West Burlington by the forces there so they must have had some shotwelding gear
there for the work.   There are photos of both in progress at West Burlington
and it is clear that much of the shrouding was fabricated on site.   No doubt
the corrugated panes and perhaps the compound curved sections were supplied by
Aurora, but the simple sheet work was cut and fitted directly on the
locomotives.

As the thread is concluding, the key to preventing electolisis from happening
is keeping moisture out from behind the sheathing.   I am not familiar with the
PS corrugated sheathing, but even the Budd panels that were mechanically
fastented to the carbody were apprarently pretty watertite, with the snap-in
covers protecting the sealed fastenings to the underlying structure.

Charlie Vlk