[CBQ] [MILW] Re: The Board of Directors

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] [MILW] Re: The Board of Directors
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:46:44 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1268758206; bh=/mYXGpcfJ3qANzzzjVa7bBodChhk31fQi67mTrvj8K0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ZL8+FnIR5s4h1xaCHjUWMqdVOXBIvuXDhf7S/0thprtzi42UzJjY4fTif1eh4VUnCPsxtSeNluCtGT7nq7YdTYTZBX1sxFQpOnmjyQ2SX1JfB8A/s0H2FQvyZde/pYtX
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Disagreement is healthy, disrespect is not. In the 10+ years I've been a part
of this group and it's predecessor, I've been deeply impressed with Dave's and
John's clarity about the difference, and equally impressed with how seldom they
even have had to explain it or enforce it. This is an amazingly cordial,
respectful, and helpful group (an expression of Midwestern hospitality/granger
culture, sez I).

On the substance of what is being discussed: One of the things in which
Burlington men took pride is that the Q was the only major US railroad never to
go into bankruptcy/receivership. To the extent that is true, it must have been
due in part to good management, and also perhaps to their notorious "frugality"
(more granger culture). Perhaps the same management which enabled them to avoid
being sucked into the worst financial collapses of the late 19th century did so
in part by pinching pennies on maintenance and capital improvements, leaving
the line in the shape that provoked Hill's comments.

As for why the Q didn't get the Twin Cities mail contract, wouldn't the
Mississippi River route have been considered more circuitous, hence slower,
than the Milwaukee's line? Slower at least back when I'd imagine the contract
was first awarded (the advent of the diesel-powered Zephyrs -  truly the bullet
 trains of their era - obviously put the lie to that).

jonathan

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com