[CBQ] Savanna Pick Up

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Savanna Pick Up
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 11:41:37 EDT
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1249227911; bh=LONNc7ZfVXrKs+5QGCts3XeYcue9PJfDK51VCagGDi8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-Spam-Flag:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=WpXpohZV7WCaHI1dhjaNKIKZh66ud8jMPk3M3WByL9F+5MIBLztvpscFvbJpcXJmbdvoxWXQhNnYhp0Ox+MSRMCll+ospTCvDo/s+fsXejr+XEznwDJSfqVaDFZwarUV
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Paul,

What I know of the pick up comes from conversations with the old  heads
that worked it. There are a couple guys who also worked the pickup in  the late
60s on this list.
Keep in mind that over the decades with changes in the C&I day w/f  the
pickups duties would change. The daytime westbound w/f changed many  times over
the decades from  Eola-Chadwick, Eola-Oregon turns,out one day  and back
the next layover at Savanna,etc(see ETTs). Also depending on which time  frame
your studying #81 was the night westbound w/f.or mdse job.(1946,47,58,59
ETT). I can find no reference to the P/U in any ETT.
The pickup left Savanna eastbound and worked to Cicero. Depending on the
time frame it would start right out at Chadwick and work everything east from
 there to Sugar Grove,as needed. Also on the nights that the Rockford w/f
was off  it could run between Flag Center and Rockford. It's main function
was to handle  the Oregon,Rockford(at Flag Center), Rochelle and Eola pickups
and set outs. As  the industries at Oregon and Rochelle grew in the 50s and
60's so did the  pick up. The job was manned from the C&I pool crews laying
over at  Savanna. It was generally near a 16 hr job by the time they got to
Cicero.
I have had conversations with guys who spoke of working all the stations to
 Oregon for example and then the other points mentioned above. One of the
big  issues with catching the P/U home was that several crews would pass you
while in  route and since there was no "run around" while on the road you
would have short  rest at home before being called westbound again. The other
crews would enjoy a  normal layover.
By the time I came along under BN the westbound was #353 and eastbound #364
 with work unofficially limited to p/u and s/o at Eola, Rochelle,Flag
Center and  Oregon with an occasional "short" thrown in for good measure.
Generally we were  11 or 12 hrs and occasionally towed in. I once had the
pleasure
of working  6 round trips in a row on these 2 jobs !? #353 was ordered
around midnight and  #364 could be ordered almost anytime but generally once
#353s power  arrived.

Leo Phillipp
steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)