[CBQ] Railroad expertise (was: E-Zine)

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Railroad expertise (was: E-Zine)
From: Jan Kohl <kohlj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:12:56 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1240604159; bh=PpCKDpfJq6GgsxHlsAaMBcL35wS8mhDn5egUDbaLzEI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:User-Agent:To:References:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-eGroups-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=YgXztg8NaoZcnYXhbdKj23pEZEpMfRwkov1Ha0CF3M9AoC6wdmczcI6FHwH3Mq3VPlyNUSrYa6Yu3zXJWihQKw2mxmATZSt5P6fQW2bdL0GJ7LIG3fJBXiVcfXH6p4lY
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Speaking from a perspective of someone who is a fairly new member,
2002...(and actually not a BRHS member, but I just do support stuff like
the website)...

I see several things.

1) The CB&Q mailing list has grown tremendously since I joined, and is
continuing to grow.  But that isn't the BRHS...
2) I think a majority of people who are on this list probably fit the
same mold that I'm in...
    * I haven't worked on a railroad
    * I don't have any historical knowledge except what I've gained over
the past few years
    * I don't consider myself an expert model railroader, either
3) This list has always been **really good** for giving out information
without annoying jerks who want to flaunt their expertise.  There are a
few railroad lists that I'm a member of but I rarely go to just because
there are some prats who are quick to point out how wrong someone is
without any attempt to provide constructive information or criticism.
If you don't think this is a big deal, it is.  I don't go places to get
annoyed, this is a hobby and I don't have time for jerks who can't act
like mature adults.  Frankly, one wonders why they want to live like
that, but I guess some do...

At any rate, in short, I don't see how I could provide any constructive
input other than what I do...the website.  And you don't need 100
webmasters.  I am grateful for the knowledge on this list, and the fact
there are still plenty of people who worked and enjoy talking about
their experiences on the Q.  I have occasionally wondered what will
happen down the road when the people who are left are ones who never
experienced the Q first hand...I never did, the Q was a predecessor
railroad to the BN I knew on the K-line...and I'm interested in the history.

You could pick any number of subjects and I wouldn't consider myself
enough of an expert to talk about any of them...F-units, railroad ops, Q
steam, or even how to scratch-build a boxcar.  I can occasionally answer
questions, but those are single buoys in a sea of ignorance about the Q.

So I guess what I'm saying is this...there are a lot of us out here who
don't really consider we know anything to bother volunteering our
knowledge (or lack thereof).

Cheers!

Jan Kohl
www.burlingtonroute.com