[CBQ] Re: CB&Q Depots

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Depots
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 00:12:18 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Both env's (one with LaCrosse Div examples, the other with Edgar, NE) arr.
safely late this week (I was out-of-state til late Fri so just got to look them
over)  Thanks!  Again, I know you neither seek nor entertain compensation but
if I can provide some CB&Q "paper" on any area or subj from my many dups OR
copies of originals from my collection(passes, A.R.'s, postcards, TT's,
brochures, etc etc), let me know.  Tks!   Gerald
Gerald A. & Virginia J.  Edgar 230 W. 5th St. Garner, IA 50438-1404 (641)
923-2573  evenings & w/e's

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.comFrom: sarge9@bresnan.netDate: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 07:32:49
-0700Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Depots

Bruce,Your question I will try to answer. There are actually 5 or 10 different
versions of this type of depot. That is why I asked for the nomenclature that
the Q used for their standard depots. I still have no answer so I will explain
in the terminology I use, if it is wrong someone please chime in and help with
the correct nomenclature. Your lower window arrangement is correct for the
depot without a freight room addition. Upstairs there are 5 different window
arrangements in the order you explained. The differences is whether the windows
only went to the roof line or if they went further and formed a dormer above
the roof line. These variations are 1 dormer front, 2 dormer front, one dormer
back, or 2 dormer back or a variation/combination of the dormers. Then you
separate if there was a freight room addition or not. So in reality there are
10 variations. My question again was they numbered, lettered or some other
nomenclature used by the Q to identify these variations? If I don't find an
answer by the time I start I will probably go for Type A (with no freight room
addition) and Type B (with freight room addition) and then go with numbers such
as Type A 2F 2B (for a depot that has no freight room addition and 2 dormer
windows in the front and 2 dormer windows in the rear) actually this would be
the Antioch Nebraska Depot or the Englewood South Dakota depot. Type B Would be
a depot with a freight room addition and no dormer windows such as Loup City
Nebraska. Or Type B 2F (freight room addition with 2 front dormer windows)
which is what the St. Paul Nebraska depot was like. Etc. This does not even
begin to address the depots with a freight room addition and the upper story
continues over the freight room addition such as the Sheridan Wyoming wooden
depot. All of you can see the stumbling blocks that one faces in writing a book
on the subject and I would like to be correct on the nomenclature the Q used. I
hope I answered your question and that I have not confused anyone. What my plan
is to have an accurate draftsman quality for each type and the list the depots
that represented that type, along with photos of those depots. Instead of doing
each depot which would be a redundancy of plans creating more printing. Is this
a feasible plan? I probably will not do the unique depots and the jury is still
out on doing the I shaped one story depots. Also do not plan to do the brick
depots.Harold HuberSheridan, WY----- Original Message ----- From: brucec34rr
To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 7:39 PMSubject: [CBQ]
Re: CB&Q DepotsThanks to Harold and to Johnathan Harris who sent me a floor
plan view.From the responses, it looks like the standard 2 story saltbox depot
had a window on the back side for the waiting room (right side as viewed from
the tracks) and one by the center of the building on the first floor. The
second story had a window on the room above the waiting room and one above the
freight room (left side). It also shows a freight door on the back left side
but I don't think the Mystic S.D depot had this since the building was on
pilings and in the back, the first story was a ways off the ground.Johnathan
also pointed out that the Mystic depot had a light body color and dark trim
circa 1940's as shown in a B&W photo. Earlier photos and descriptions show the
standard red body and green trim. Does anyone know of another CB&Q color
standard that is light body and dark trim??Thanks,Bruce--- In
CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Huber" <sarge9@...> wrote:>> > All,> I am leaving
to copy the depot stuff. I will not do any more than I have right now. I will
be mailing these snail mail today. As a side note I will never again offer to
do something like this again. One would not believe the rudeness, failure to
follow instructions, and plain out meaness from people when they are getting
something for free. I apologize for venting my spleen, but I am not in a very
good mood right now after reading the mail I recieved from this group.> Harold>