[CBQ] Oops! plus reviews of calendar & books

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Oops! plus reviews of calendar & books
From: "Gerald A. Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 07:22:02 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Last message was to thank Hubert (as many of us have done) for depot
drawings and I could have sworn the "To" was to him, not to CB&Q Yahoo.
However to make it up, here's my amateur reviews of 2 new Burlington
books & 1 Burlington calendar

        2009 Burlington Calendar from MP206 Publishing (Burlington, IA)

It's 8&1/2 x 11" with 13 photos (Jan 09-Jan 10) 5 are color views, 7
b/w & 1 sepia - all are sharp and several, as in past years, are
the 'where in the heck did they find this?" types.  Included is a view
of a QO&KC coal train led by #32, a Baldwin 2-8-0 blt for K.C. &
Northern Connecting as their #513 in 1900; lasted til 1927.  There is
also a "29 builders photo of an ACF fbus or Burl. Trans. Co. (love the
brass marker on rear); wood piledriver 204607; 4960 @ Chapin, IL; 4-4-0
#370 with a bunnting bedecked train and a giant "A" on its boiler front
taken WAY back when.  ANY idea what the occaision was?
A double header passenger train taken in Osceola, IA in 1914 is a rarity
As in past years, the balance of photos from different eras, all
corners of the Q and every aspect of the RR possible are crammed into
an outstanding work including motorcar #9735.  Amazing what keeps
popping up!

          "Quincy Route" (QO&KC/I&StL - expanded & revised)

The long out-of-print Hogback Road is reprised in this expanded (116
pp, 8&1/2" x 11" softbound) and rewritten version by Michael Johns &
the late Ralph Cooper with assistance from Jim Reisdorff of So. Platte
Press (available there) but published by Milepost 208 (Chilicothe,
MO).  Photos are marginal in quality (one, the RR gave up in "39 with
parts abandoned then, others remaining with CB&Q and two, most are
copied from the 1st book).  The Iowa & St. Louis is also covered and
maps are a plus as is the roster (copied from R&LHS issue #151 of 1984
but erroneously credited to BRHS in one place, CB&Q H.S. in another)  A
A 1916 QO&KC ETT is also copied.  There is an excellent bibliogrpahy &
a decent index. For those of you unfamiliar with the QO&KC, it was
owned by CB&Q from 1908 onward & its 'table' appears in all CB&Q public
TT's thru the 30's.  A granger & coal hauler running across northern MO
(with the I&StL serving as a branch to Sedan, IA) it was the weak
sister of the Burlington Route.

             "Last Train to Wymore" by David Doering

This is the continuance of the famous "Wymore Story" (4 printings to
date!) by Richard Kistler, also publ. by So. Platte Press.  Indeed, Mr.
Kistler provides the Forward.  Approx. 80 sharp photos, nearly all
color grace its 56 pp along with maps and my favorite aspect, details
on every industry on the line from CB&Q days to BN abandonment.
Although this is a book about a branch operated by BN, the right-of-way
& structures shown are all Q and where applicable, Mr. Doering provides
the original Q loco # of BN GP'7 & SD-9's he photographed.  I normally
only model/collect & read about CB&Q; anything after the spring of 1970
is verboten!  But the Wymore branch was CB&Q thru & thru and was one of
the last parts of the Q to be served by a BN 'local' as it had been for
many years before.  If you model or have an interest in Lines West in
the 1960's, just pretend the green paint is red!