[CBQ] Re: CB&Q Depots

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Depots
From: "bigbearoak" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 18:03:45 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The idea of white body with dark green trim seems plausible. The title
page of Carryl Hadcock's BURLINGTON ROUTE DEPOT LIFE has a photo
showing the Q's facilities at East Bridger, Montana in 1941. The depot
and another small building are both painted in a light wall color with
dark window and door trim. I've seen several other photos of
Burlington depots (all Lines West, most or all from around this time)
with apparently similar paint schemes. For instance:

Corbin and Hardy, THE BURLINGTON IN TRANSITION, p. 89, depot at
Mystic, South Dakota, 1946

ibid, p. 90, upper left, depot at Rocheford, SD, no date.

ibid, p. 90, lower right, depot at Spearfish, SD, pre-1934.

Hardy, BURLINGTON ROUTE WEST: A PERSONAL JOURNEY, p. 26, freight depot
at Hot Springs, SD, 1949.

Steve Goen's FORT WORTH AND DENVER RY COLOR PICTORIAL has a section of
color photos of depots (pp. 117-24 - one of the great features of this
book!), showing a couple other possible light/dark paint schemes. The
(wooden) depots at Bowie, Chillicothe, and Textline have a "depot
buff" (pale yellow) body with dark green trim. Others (Clarendon,
Dalhart, and Henrietta have a very light tan buff with darker brown
trim. And there are still other variants (the Electra depot, e.g., is
white with dark green trim). Since Goen's book is a color pictorial,
all these photos are pretty late, but the paint in most cases is
weathered enough to suggest they're older schemes. On the subsidiary
roads there seems to have have been less standardization of paint
schemes, though some FW&D depots are shown painted in standard
post-1904 red/green scheme.

Personally, I like the depot-buff-with-dark-green-trim scheme a lot.
But the brightness of the depot bodies these old WWII-era black and
white photos suggests white/green as perhaps the most likely.

Jonathan

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, VERLIN WHITE <verlinwhite@...> wrote:

> Hello,
> Here in Lewistown, Il., the old C.B.&Q. Depot, the paint layers
showed at one time that it had a white body with a dark green trim.