Re: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Depots

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Depots
From: "Harold Huber" <sarge9@bresnan.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 07:32:49 -0700
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bruce,
Your question I will try to answer.  There are actually 5 or 10 different
versions of this type of depot.  That is why I asked for the nomenclature that
the Q used for their standard depots.  I still have no answer so I will explain
in the terminology I use, if it is wrong someone please chime in and help with
the correct nomenclature.  Your lower window arrangement is correct for the
depot without a freight room addition.  Upstairs there are 5 different window
arrangements in the order you explained.  The differences is whether the
windows only went to the roof line or if they went further and formed a dormer
above the roof line.  These variations are 1 dormer front, 2 dormer front, one
dormer back, or 2 dormer back or a variation/combination of the dormers.  Then
you separate if there was a freight room addition or not.  So in reality there
are 10 variations.  My question again was they numbered, lettered or some other
nomenclature used by the Q to identify these variations?  If I don't find an
answer by the time I start I will probably go for Type A (with no freight room
addition) and Type B (with freight room addition) and then go with numbers such
as Type A 2F 2B (for a depot that has no freight room addition and 2 dormer
windows in the front and 2 dormer windows in the rear)  actually this would be
the Antioch Nebraska Depot or the Englewood South Dakota depot.  Type B Would
be a depot with a freight room addition and no dormer windows such as Loup City
Nebraska.  Or Type B 2F (freight room addition with 2 front dormer windows)
which is what the St. Paul Nebraska depot was like. Etc.  This does not even
begin to address the depots with a freight room addition and the upper story
continues over the freight room addition such as the Sheridan Wyoming wooden
depot.  All of you can see the stumbling blocks that one faces in writing a
book on the subject and I would like to be correct on the nomenclature the Q
used.  I hope I answered your question and that I have not confused anyone.
What my plan is to have an accurate draftsman quality for each type and the
list the depots that represented that type, along with photos of those depots.
Instead of doing each depot which would be a redundancy of plans creating more
printing.  Is this a feasible plan?  I probably will not do the unique depots
and the jury is still out on doing the I shaped one story depots.  Also do not
plan to do the brick depots.
Harold Huber
Sheridan, WY