[CBQ] Trackage around St. Joseph

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Trackage around St. Joseph
From: "zephyr98072" <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 02:22:33 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I am looking for information that would verify the earliest
construction north and south from St. Joseph.  The information in
Overton's book is a little confusing to me.  It indicates that trackage
existed from St. Joseph to Weston and from St. Joseph to Savannah Jct.
perhaps as early as 1859, but doesn't indicate who constructed it.

It seems too early to be either SJ&CB or KCSJ&CB.  Was it H&StJ, or
could it have been MV? (who evidently constructed some of the trackage
north of Savannah toward Creston)?  I'm not sure what MV stands for,
but am guessing Missouri Valley?

Could it also be true that the original trackage from St. Joseph to
Savannah (Jct?.) may not have gone via Amazonia, but by some other
route that was torn up when the SJ&CB was built between Council Bluffs
and St. Joseph?

Thanks for any insight.

Glen Haug