[CBQ] Re: Q Passenger Consists and photos - late 60's C&I

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Q Passenger Consists and photos - late 60's C&I
From: "pal_houston" <paulaleonard@tx.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 00:39:20 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "pal_houston" <paulaleonard@...> wrote:

> --- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mack" thommack@ wrote:
> > > I just got my copy of Volume 2 of Strauss's Burlington Route
> Passenger
> > > Trains - Vista Domes and Slumbercoaches (Weekend Chief/Four Ways
> > > West). Although a very detailed book, almost all the photos and
> > > consists seem to be for the late 50's and early 60's (e.g. almost
> all
> > > locomotives are black stripe E's). For us late 60's modelers, are
> > > there some detailed consist lists available from someone here on
> the
> > > group? I am especially interested in the secondary trains between
> > > Chicago and Mpls/StP (Blackhawk, Mainstreeter, Western Star).
>

> > > Tom Mack
> > > Cincinnati, OH
> > >

> Tom:
> Excellent question. I also would like similar info.
>
> For what it's worth (and not answering your question), the following
> link provides some interesting info for both GN and NP trains west of
> Minneapolis/St.Paul.
>
> http://www.gngoat.org/gn-np.htm
>
> Also, CB&Q used the same numbers for the eastern part of the EB
> between MPLS/CHI as did GN for their part of EB west of
> MPLS (Nos.31/32), and CBQ also used the same numbers for the NCL
> between StP/CHI as did NP for the western part of the NCL
> (Nos.25/26).
>
> However CBQ used 47/48 for the combined Blackhawk/Mainstreeter
> between MPLS/CHI. And near as I can tell these trains ran in the
> dark -- leaving Minn/STP way late and arriving Chicago way early. No
> wonder pix are so hard to come by.
>
> The NP RHA website is really interesting and very well put together.
> http://www.nprha.org/
> Lots of great info there, but other than naming their newletter
> Mainstreeter, I couldn't actually find much info about the train or
> its consists, or pix either!
>
> Interestingly, NPRHA NP Train Number Summary lists NP Nos. 1&2 as
> NCL, and not Mainstreeter; and there is no Mainstreeter listed on
> their Train Number Summary (!). Neither does the NPRHA site list
> NP Nos.25/26.
>
> Maybe we run whatever equipment we want for the combined
> Mainstreeter/Blackhawk, as long as we run in the dark. :) ?
>
> Regards,
> Paul

I found some additional info that may be of interest on the GN website.
Here is a link to the GN website that provides copies of the Aug. 1955
public schedule for GN passenger service, or "Official Guide"

http://www.gngoat.org/official_guide.htm
<http://www.gngoat.org/official_guide.htm>  .

Among other information it provides an Empire Builder Schedule  and
equipment info.

http://www.gngoat.org/p1069.jpg <http://www.gngoat.org/p1069.jpg>

GN-1 the Westbound EB departed Chicago at 2 pm, the same time the
eastbound EB GN-2 was scheduled to arrive.  Thus, GN and CBQ did NOT use
the same train numbers for the EB on their parts of the route, as I said
yesterday.  My mistake.

The GN site also has a Western Star schedule and equipment info.

http://www.gngoat.org/p1070.jpg <http://www.gngoat.org/p1070.jpg>

The Western Star was GN train Nos. 3 and 4 which departed Chicago at 11
pm or arrived Chicago at 8 am.

While the equipment info on these schedules is interesting, I am not
sure it does a lot of good relative to what was being run from Chicago
to Minneapolis in the mid-1960's, unfortunately.

Regards,

Paul