[CBQ] Re: Q Passenger Consists and photos - late 60's C&I

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Q Passenger Consists and photos - late 60's C&I
From: "pal_houston" <paulaleonard@tx.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 03:14:31 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mack" <thommack@...> wrote:
> > I just got my copy of Volume 2 of Strauss's Burlington Route
Passenger
> > Trains - Vista Domes and Slumbercoaches (Weekend Chief/Four Ways
> > West). Although a very detailed book, almost all the photos and
> > consists seem to be for the late 50's and early 60's (e.g. almost
all
> > locomotives are black stripe E's). For us late 60's modelers, are
> > there some detailed consist lists available from someone here on
the
> > group? I am especially interested in the secondary trains between
> > Chicago and Mpls/StP (Blackhawk, Mainstreeter, Western Star).

> > Tom Mack
> > Cincinnati, OH

Tom:
Excellent question.  I also would like similar info.

For what it's worth (and not answering your question), the following
link provides some interesting info for both GN and NP trains west of
Minneapolis/St.Paul.

http://www.gngoat.org/gn-np.htm

Also, CB&Q used the same numbers for the eastern part of the EB
between MPLS/CHI as did GN for their part of EB west of
MPLS  (Nos.31/32), and CBQ also used the same numbers for the NCL
between StP/CHI as did NP for the western part of the NCL
(Nos.25/26).

However CBQ used 47/48 for the combined Blackhawk/Mainstreeter
between MPLS/CHI.  And near as I can tell these trains ran in the
dark -- leaving Minn/STP way late and arriving Chicago way early.  No
wonder pix are so hard to come by.

The NP RHA website is really interesting and very well put together.
http://www.nprha.org/
Lots of great info there, but other than naming their newletter
Mainstreeter, I couldn't actually find much info about the train or
its consists, or pix either!

Interestingly, NPRHA NP Train Number Summary lists NP Nos. 1&2 as
NCL, and not Mainstreeter; and there is no Mainstreeter listed on
their Train Number Summary (!).  Neither does the NPRHA site list
NP Nos.25/26.

Maybe we run whatever equipment we want for the combined
Mainstreeter/Blackhawk, as long as we run in the dark. :) ?

Regards,
Paul