Re: [CBQ] If Burlington had purchased F/FP45's?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] If Burlington had purchased F/FP45's?
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 22:26:11 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Well, we already know what Chinese Red F Units might have looked like.....
Athearn painted their F7 in a
Red and Gray scheme.  It wasn't attractive.
I think Passenger Silver, "Blackbird", and Chinese Red FP45/F45s have been done
before.  I'm not sure that
the Q would have gone to them.... if there had been a need, say to replace the
E5s or E7s, it would have been
part of a larger trend and maybe there would have been an E10 in the EMD
Catalog.
The Q was a big fan of having two prime movers on board a unit for
reliability.....something the FP45 and F40
couldn't do.  I think it would have been more likely that the Q would have done
a Morrision Knudson thing and
had the units rebuilt with more up to date power assemblies.  Look what the BN
did to make their executive
F units.... maybe something along those lines.  A few years later and you would
have seen microprocessor control,
better wiring, and comfort cab features.
I don't think the Q would have made the mistakes that AMTRAK did with their
units and would never have allowed
some of the stuff METRA and the BNSF are enamoured with on their railroad.  The
BNSF commuter business
people LOVE the Canadian design cars that shredded when they hit the SUV parked
on the tracks....  guess the
lessons of the Naperville Wreck didn't make it through the BN to the BNSF.
Charlie Vlk