Re: [CBQ] If only Burlington had purchased F/FP45's?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] If only Burlington had purchased F/FP45's?
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:25:07 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
No, Charlie is referring to the accident in LA where a man thought he
wanted to commit suicide by train (parking his SUV on the tracks,
thought better of it and ran - then the train hit the SUV cab car
fist, derailed and had more damage due to other rail equipment.

Some things are foisted upon railroads/commuter agencies, either due
to regulations or because the original builders are no longer
available.  The Budd commuter cars were (and in many ways ARE) great,
but due to a variety of regulations, they are not usable as is and it
costs too much (compared with matching funding for new) to
rebuild.  Not saying that these same commuter agencies don't make
inane conclusions and decisions.

At 12:04 PM 6/21/2008, you wrote:
>I think the lesson(s) Charlie was referring to re the Naperville RE
>collision was the danger of "sandwiching" lightweight cars ie SILVER
>INN between heavyweights.

Bob Webber