[CBQ] Passenger Train Consists

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Passenger Train Consists
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 11:00:16 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
In an effort to provide meaningful data and useful information for
the modeler and other interested parties, I am attempting to gather
passenger train consists (or to find out where to find them so as to
collate them myself).  I have the books and the Zephyr handouts with
the consists.  I have found some disparities (like SILVER CHASM being
in a 1950 train....), but that is to be expected, especially when
dealing with hand written documents.

In one area, especially, I am eager to find consists - in order to
promote models that are not just for the CB&Q but also for associated
roads (specifically, the D&RGW & WP (and to a lesser extent, the MP)
on the through and connecting trains on an E/W basis.  One aspect of
this research though, is finding that these cars strayed far from
where one might think, with WP diners, coaches and baggage cars
showing up on CB&Q locals.  In order to obtain/have produced models
that will work to fill out the trains, consists are necessary to
provide context and reasonable consists for modeling the trains.

It should be noted here that the models specifically in mind are or
will be produced under the aegis of non-profit historical
societies.  Specifically, preparing cars that have not been available
in any form.  The information will be usable for any scale of course,
or for no scale - but the models right now are going to be HO.

In addition to the prospect of promotion and informing the members of
various groups, there is also the hope that consists of later eras
(post 1949) can be found to provide information for a variety of
presentations (and perhaps articles) that are or will be in
production (again, with the concept that they can be used to in from
society and list members in various venues).

While there are some isolated consists available, what I'd really
like to find is time spanning lists (for instance, a run of a few
weeks within a conductor's or car inspector's book) in order to get a
good grasp on "normal" operating patterns.  Unfortunately, finding
these things is not that easy, so any help is very much appreciated
(and will be accredited appropriately).

And once a format for such can be derived, the information will be
shared (assuming any donators want such on a open source basis).  Thanks!

Bob Webber