Re: [CBQ] Question about the NIFA Branch in Aurora

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Question about the NIFA Branch in Aurora
From: Aeolus3@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 12:02:32 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dan,

I didn't realize the BNSF was going to abandon the bridge, I thought  they
needed it for the switching lead for Dart. I haven't been up that way for a
long time. I did find out that the route change was made in or around 1985-86
when the speed limits were raised nationally. The routes that had the speed
limit raised from 55 to 65 depending on the population of the area, the route
had to have an interstate number.

I would think the BRHS could do an interesting Bulletin on the Aurora
operations of the railroad. I know Leo is working on the Middle Ave. branch and
 is
very knowledgeable on the operations of the Q in Aurora. My Dad worked  for
Barber-Green in at the Aurora Plant from 1946-1975 when he  passed away. Up in
the employee cafe, they had an O Scale model of the  plant area including the
rail lines in and out of the plant. I've often  wondered what happened to that
model. I remember seeing it as a youngster when  they would have the meetings
of the Hunting and Fishing Club, which was on the  old Burlington gravel pit
on the Fox River Branch. The club or old gravel  pit was off of IL Route 71
about 1/2 way between where IL Route 25 dead ended  into Route 71 and IL Route
126 out of Yorkville. There was always a rumor  that an old 0-6-0 steam
switcher
was sunk in Green Lake on the club's  property. On the road, well if you
could call it a road, into the club there  were some of the old railroad
buildings
and a base of a water tower. The last  time I was at the club was back in
1974.

I've always thought a great Aurora branch to model would be Middle Ave.

Loren Johnson

favorites at AOL Food.