[CBQ] Re: burlington iowa

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: burlington iowa
From: "Bob Campbell" <amtrak347@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 00:49:22 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, William Ewinger <b_ewinger@...> wrote:

> hi all
>
> as most of you know by now five barges got loose last night from were
the are fleeted aera north of burlington ia. two came down and hit the
great river car bridge doing little damage after a insection by the iowa
dot it was reopen around 2:00p.m..two of the barges came down and got
into the cabins north of the grain elevator in gulfport.the fifth barge
came down and lodge against the bnsf railroad bridge were it is still at
(6:45P.M.) at about 4:30pm the hooked a couple of the big line haul
towboats in attempt to move it away from the bridge but all the could do
was slip one more preir to the west and then a hole got tore into the
bottom someplace. this cause the barge to start sinking. the current
river stage is 20.8 feet which is 12 feet over a normal river stage.the
other problem is the barge is laying against the bridge parelle to the
tracks and with the current that is out there due to the high water is
making extremely difficult to move.on one of the tracks is
> five loaded grain carsand the y are now moving five more out
there.they are thinking if the barge sinks low enough it might swile off
the preir and go under the bridge

> bill ewinger
> burlington iowa

The "mental migets" in the BNSF Passenger Services Dept. won't let #5
(stuck at Monmouth) and the "empty" #6, at Burlington, run down to Ft.
Madison to get on the "60% TrashCon" to bypass the problem.  What a
bunch of "jerks"!  Amtrak has been calling me for "dogcatch" service on
#6 when it runs out of time.

I won't even attempt throwing in my "two cents worth" on the U23C
thread.

Bob Campbell

Amtrak