Re: [CBQ] Passenger Train Consists

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Passenger Train Consists
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 18:48:03 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
BTW, another constituent would be to investigate the Newberry
holdings - both the Burlington and the Pullman archives - the Pullman
Conductor's books also provided full consists, along with other
information (lines, fares, totals, etc.).

I did a sampling of the only period in which I had consecutive weeks
of data (for the CZ).  The standard consist was standard in theory
only.  73% of the trains (in Sept - Nov 1961) had foreign cars on the
train (including, Burlington cars, that were non-CZ).  If you add
just head end cars that weren't CZ train cars (including Havelock
cars, and the pool baggage cars), the figure soars to near 100% due
to the use of headend cars from Hastings to Denver.  And add some HW
BA-16/18 cars to the list.  Trains had from 2 to 4 dome coaches, some
had 2 dome obs (one acting either as a DH move or a dorm (or tour?
but the dome seats don't turn), as it was backwards behind the
baggage), from 2 - 5 10-6s, 0-3 6-5s, 0 -7 foreign sleepers, and some
had two diners.   And the photos DO bear this out, you just have to
really look for them and not let your eye believe what your're seeing
is "normal" consists.

At 06:39 PM 5/2/2008, you wrote:

>Well.. *IF* there is enough data and *IF* there is enough interest,
>and *IF* all those providing the data agree, a consist book is not
>out of the question - and may in fact be the format the article /
>presentation eventually takes.
>
>It would be a VERY good thing for the CB&Q, D&RGW, & WP passenger
>car/train enthusiast - not to mention the possible NP/ GN/CRI&P
>interests if one could persuade the folks who HAVE published them in
>the past to concentrate all of them in one place and republish as an
>accessory to the original item (in which the original consists were a
>few exhibits).  If one were to sprinkle in some photos, and perhaps
>floor plans / elevations, all the better.
>
>I think Ken Martin supplied most of the Zephyr material from a book
>he had bought some years back, so I don't know who would hold the
>rights to that - Ken and/or the BRHS.  Then contacting Ed, John
>Straus, Jr., - perhaps Dan, and then assembling it all.   It would
>hold interest for a variety of prospective customers.
>

>   At 05:10 PM 5/2/2008, Aeolus3@aol.com wrote:
> >Bob,
> >
> >So many people think train consists such as the Denver Zephyr were pretty
> >fixed.... they weren't, consists of the Aksarben, American Royal,
> >and Blackhawk
> >are hard to come across. While the standard consists of for example the CZ
> >were,  baggage, 3 dome coaches, Dome Buffet Dorm, Diner, 3 10-6 Pullmans, 16
> >Section  Pullman, 6-5 Pullman, and Dome Observation, which of those
> >cars were in
> >that  day's consist. Too many times the video tapes only show the
> engines and
> >first  few cars.....
> >
> >I would welcome a Consist Book....
> >
> >Loren Johnson