[CBQ] Re: CB&Q Dynamometer Car

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Dynamometer Car
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:07:29 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Russ,

EMD's only test car at that time was ET909, converted from a "F3" B
unit carbody. Over the years. it was painted in several paint
schemes. There are several views of it at this web address:
www.northeast.railfan.net/equipment2.html. In the early days, EMD
personnel carried large pieces of portable test equipment that was
temporarily mounted in the locomotive cab. Early testing of EMD
locomotives was often done by the RRs with traditional dynamometer
cars. There are many photos of the FT 103 demonstrator followed by a
RR dynamometer car. In the book titled "On Time" about the early days
of EMD, there is a humorous story about an incident in which the FT
103 was starting a train with an inexperienced engineer. The tractive
effort was so high that is drove the dynamometer recording pens right
off the graph paper, spraying ink all over the operator!

Around 1970, EMD bought an SP observation car and converted it to
test car ET800. It was a fine vehicle that was also the living
quarters for the crew. The guys always had great food on board! I
believe they also had living quarters on the older F3B ET909, but
they were more spartan. After ET800 was put in service, ET909
continued in service, but was used for lessor tasks. Eventually, it
was often found out at the AAR test center in Pueblo, CO.

Bill Barber