Re: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Dynamometer Car

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Dynamometer Car
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:53:33 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John-
Yes, the Ambroid kit is of the as-built car.   I don't know this for certain
but I am guessing the car was built new
using a modification of the standard 30' waycar body and details.
As built it had the No.7 Waycar trucks (whichare the same as you would find
under the Challenger waycar).
and only one end platform.   The door on the "Blind" end was offset to one
side.  And, of course, it had a "widowmaker" side
door and a bay window.
The window spacing was unlike most waycars and the "cupola" was narrow and
abreviated to a section of celestory, probably
added just to bring in a little more light and provide ventilation.
I always thought the car was varnished unstained wood; it might have been
yellow as you suggest.
The lettering may have been more than simple black, it was common in the 1880's
to have lettering edged in a contrasting
color (Maybe red with black pin striping or shaddowing??).
Charlie Vlk

  Comparing the kit with the photos in BB#24 the kit represents the Z
  as it appeared before the rebuilding in 1901. It was painted bright
  yellow with black lettering. In the photos from the period it had
  trucks that looks like a match to those on a Challenger waycar I
  have.

  The only lettering in the photo is C.B.&Q. (with periods) with a
  centered letter Z below. This is above both trucks.

  Kai Solvei
  Norway

  --- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, railbass@... wrote:

  > Thanks everyone. Phil Weibler sent me a scanning which came out
  OK. This now leaves some questions about the kit and prototype.

  > What period was this wood car in use? I assume it was built from
  a wood waycar, probably for use behind steam. What trucks would be
  used on this car? Same as on the long wood waycars? It says "old
  style short passenger trucks." What color would it be painted?
  What would be the lettering and number? I model Q steam/diesel in
  the late 1940s and early 1950s. Would this car still be in service
  then? Thanks again for the quick responses.

  .