[CBQ] Assigned Waycars

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Assigned Waycars
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:49:47 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Russ' comments reminded me of the large files on assigned waycars in the
BRT/UTU files.

The Aurora division crews working the C&I pool were the last district  to
agree to pooled w/c's. That wasn't until well into the 60's!
When I worked at the Ivory Tower in Chicago one of the justifications in  the
studies to go to long pool districts was to eliminate the crew change delay
at division points. These were just step off/step on at that point. Just
think how much longer the delays were when the inbound w/c had to come off and
the outbound one added at each crew change point ! I had the process explained
to me in great detail for the Savanna change out.
In fact I actually experienced it once when on a westbound our w/c went b/o
due to a failed draft gear and the w/cs were changed at Savanna. Slick move
but  still added quite a bit of delay to the train.
And talk about a rough ride due to unbuffered slack action !?  Must  have
been what it was like to ride in the old wooden cars in the 60s. Probably  why
they agreed to go to the new pooled cabooses.

Leo Phillipp