Re: [CBQ] Passenger Car Toilets

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Passenger Car Toilets
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 15:26:21 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Archie

Sorry I don't have an answer for your "pop quiz"..Never having much seniority I
spent little time on waycars while the train was in motion....Always on the
head end....although there was an "incident".

It was a hot summer morning in August 1956.? We?were at Ravenna (NE) and?were
called for a "Monkey Ward"...for those of you not "in the know"..that was a
local moniker for a "Montana Wyoming Stock Pickup"? (MWSPU)...since probably
most of the guys on here don't even know that "Monkey Ward" was the sometimes
name for Montgomery WArd..the mail order house...contemporary of Sears Roebuck.

Anyhow we had a couple of passenger units and I was standing on the ground on
the fireman's side just a bit ahead of the ladder up the cab.?? I suddenly
heard the sound of running water hitting the ground and splashing around a bit.

I looked up and what did I see???.?? NOt a band of angels comin' after me, but
the old head hoghead relieving himself out the cab door, and nearly catching
me? in the deluge.

Speaking of not using the "dry hopper".?? I don't think that I ever used the
one one any locomotive.? They were always incredibly filthy and surrounded by
the assortment of junk which accumulated in the nose of E or F units and in the
steam generator area of the GP's or SD's.? The usual procedure on the head end
was "off the running board", or in steam days it was "out the gangway".

That's all I can offer Archie...I'll forfeit any attempt at the prize and look
forward to seeing who comes up with the answer.

Pete