Re: [CBQ] Re:Oiling the Rails

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re:Oiling the Rails
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 09:05:58 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
When I was a kid, I did not realize that the waste was being dropped directly
on the track.  The skirts on the passenger cars hid that detail.  However, when
I viewed the slumbercoach Silver Repose in Nashville several years ago, the
removal of the skirts, batteries (when the car was converted to head-end
power), etc, revealed that each toilet in the slumbercoach rooms had its own
rubber hose, pointed straight down all in plain view for all to see.

VERLIN WHITE <verlinwhite@sbcglobal.net> wrote:          quiet they might stop
us from get that great action shots

Charlie Vlk <cvlk@comcast.net> wrote: The Q refered to the assembly as a "Dry
Hopper", at least on waycars. I think most mainline passenger stock had a
flapper and water flushing to block the view of rushing rails and provide some
insulation from the fact that you were dropping your load on the ground. Can
you imagine today's public using such a device? We're only a few generations
removed from when most of the population used outdoor privies.... now even some
Portapotties have flushing!! I'm amazed that railroad ROWs have not been
declared hazardous waste sites due to the century of human waste
deposititation.....
Charlie Vlk
waterwh