Re: [CBQ] California Zephyr/Nebraska Zephyr/Pool 1949 Budd Baggage Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] California Zephyr/Nebraska Zephyr/Pool 1949 Budd Baggage Cars
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 07:05:58 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The reason why Argo and Olympus did not have the Silver prefix was because they
were built for the Nebraska Zephyr.  Their nomenclature was kept consistent
with that of the ex-9905 and 9906 Twin Zephyr consists.

  I believe the Olympus was on the Amtrak Silver Meteor that derailed in
Florida in 1993 when it hit a truck carrying a tractor on a private road, thus
making the error causing this accident of such magnitude that it even brought
Olympus down.

  sjl

Aeolus3@aol.com wrote:
          Charlie,

You nailed the service for the steam generator baggage car. Silver Treasure
was planned to be used with one of the EA's that didn't have the steam
generator. Also remember it was "Silver" Argo and "Silver" Olympus. Randall's
book
Zephyr to Amtrak had that mistake in it as well. I am not trashing a mistake
like that, simply put Argo and Olympus were the only Burlington cars built
after the 1936 DZ equipment that didn't carry the "Silver" in the name board.

My hope and we've talked about this before is all the passenger equipment
that is being produced in HO (I know you like them a little bit smaller) is
outstanding. Who would have thought 15 years ago, we would have a prototype CZ
and Empire Builder in plastic? Not only in plastic but the cars are very well
done. We have a guy in the club who asked me to set up a consist of the BLI CZ
cars for him. He hadn't run the train and I gave him the final two cars at
the Lyons Show, we put the 11 car consist on the track, I stuck on my WP ABB
F3's and away it ran. Perfect! He wanted the 1949 consist so of course no 6-5
Pullman.

Loren