Re: [CBQ] California Zephyr/Nebraska Zephyr/Pool 1949 Budd Baggage Cars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] California Zephyr/Nebraska Zephyr/Pool 1949 Budd Baggage Cars
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:50:37 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
It never registered with me that Randall was the compiler of "From Zephyr to
Amtrak"....it looks like a Wayner book
and when I think of Randall I think of the Railroad Passenger Car series
including the reprint of the CB&Q Passenger
Car Diagram Book.
Yes, he does refer to the Silver Argo and Silver Olympus.... oh well.
Seems to me that "The Round-UP" is still around but is no longer a CN
car....seems to me I ran across a photo of it
in its current owner's scheme recently.
Charlie Vlk

  In the Randall book "From Zephyr to Amtrak" which I mentioned had the
  baggage cars listed as Silver Argo and Silver Olympus. I have heard from
another
  person that Silver Post and Silver Page were supposed to carry the names
Aurora
  and Aeolus.... however I've never seen that in print anywhere.

  Also the 1936 Twin Zephyr equipment carried a steam boiler in the power
  cars. I believe that equipment remained when both sets were refurbished for
  Nebraska Zephyr service. Business car Burlington and Round Up I never
considered
  to be a part of the passenger fleet. Does anyone know if the Round Up is
still
  around, I know it was sold to the CN if memory serves. I do know one thing
  though Round Up must have ridden like a Caddy... since it was a heavy weight
  covered in stainless steel. I remember seeing that car on the Q it looked
like
  a battleship! It's a shame the Aurora Shops weren't still around, the ex
  Empire Builder full dome that the BNSF covered in fluted stainless would have
  looked so much better. Does anyone know it they removed the original
stainless
  steel and replaced it? Or did they just cover the exterior with fluted
  stainless. It looks like something out of a child's erector set.

  .