Re: [CBQ] California Zephyr/Nebraska Zephyr/Pool 1949 Budd Baggage Cars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] California Zephyr/Nebraska Zephyr/Pool 1949 Budd Baggage Cars
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:03:53 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
One, I can't see where Randall makes the mistake of adding the "Silver" prefix
to Argo and Olympus ... both
pages in my book for 906 and 907 refer to them correctly.  He does, however,
add that the Silver Post and Silver
Page were to have been named Aurora and Aeolus.... has this ever been
documented elsewhere?
I did speculate that the boiler was to augment the EA but that was when I was
thinking about the TCZ sets being
transfered to the NZ service... thinking maybe the power cars didn't have
enough capacity.... but thinking about it now that
Silver Treasure was identified as being the car with the boiler, my memory is
jogged that the Q tried to use an EA
to power the Silver Streak after the 9908 proved to be underpowered to pull the
consist (with its heavyweight
Pullmans) and that service would have required a boiler as there was no power
car with a steam generator....or
are my grey cells short-circuited???
And the two baggage cars were not the last cars built after 1937 to lack the
"Silver" in the name.... the business cars
Burlington and The Round-up get those honors (not  counting all the GN and NP
pool cars).
Charlie Vlk

  The reason why Argo and Olympus did not have the Silver prefix was because
they were built for the Nebraska Zephyr. Their nomenclature was kept consistent
with that of the ex-9905 and 9906 Twin Zephyr consists.
  You nailed the service for the steam generator baggage car. Silver Treasure
  was planned to be used with one of the EA's that didn't have the steam
  generator. Also remember it was "Silver" Argo and "Silver" Olympus. Randall's
book  Zephyr to Amtrak had that mistake in it as well. I am not trashing a
mistake like that, simply put Argo and Olympus were the only Burlington cars
built after the 1936 DZ equipment that didn't carry the "Silver" in the name
board.

  .