[CBQ] Leaker

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Leaker
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 21:57:42 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Wonder why the AAR banned riveted tank cars from the rails? They leaked as
they got older because the buff and draft, bouncing around and couplings would
eventually loosen the rivets.
One night while switching the Standard Oil loading racks at Rochelle we
pulled a string of Q 232000 series tanks that were loaded w/diesel and headed
various Rdhses around lines East. One of them was leaking from a rivet where
the
tank shell and tank head were connected. We set the car back inside the gate
and notified the agent downtown of the situation. Next night when we came to
work the car was still there dripping away. Third night it had been respotted
and unloaded.
Often wondered how many gallons of #2 soaked into the ground. This was back
before the EPA is the presence it is today.

Leo

Ps-See Pete I told you it brought out another story.