Re: [CBQ] Leaker

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Leaker
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 23:36:57 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Speaking of "leakers"...see it just keeps "pinging back and forth"

I'm sure it happened at every mainline fuel rack, but I vividly recall than
when I and a few..not railfans but willing to come along friends would make a
railfan evening in Lincoln in the 50's by proceeding thusly.

To the Q station about 8:30 or so to see No. 30 out for Chicago..then down
to the Rock Island depot to witness the arrival of No. 8 (Rocky Mountain Rocket
 eastbound) then back to the Q depot for No. 21, Silver Streak, No. 19
Coloradoan, No. 10 DZ Eastbound, No. 44 for St. Joe outbound, No. 43 for
Alliance
Then back to the RI for No. 7  (Rocky Mountain Rocket WB).

When No. 19 would arrive about 11:20 or so there was lots of mail and
express to work and some switching to be done from the rear end.  The  motors
would
be down at the far south (TT west) end of the depot and there were  fuel and
water hoses there.  The roundhouse laborer would start the boiler  water hose
and the fuel hose in the lead unit and then proceed to do other  chores around
the engine.  When the fuel tank would get full it would run  over (talk about
a SURGE) spueing and foaming on the ground.  It might be 5  minutes or so
before the guy got back to shut it off and start the next unit  where the same
thing would occur a few minutes later.  Talk about  pollution....

In the same regard when they built the new diesel shop and related
facilities near the old roundhouse in the early 1980's the soil was so
saturated  and
polluted from 100 years or so of grease, oil, diesel fuel and related
contaminants that the EPA made then haul the soil away and treat it by
burning.

Nothing has been done to the fueling areas at each end of the depot, but I
would imagine that the contamination there is equally as bad.

Pete