[CBQ] Walthers Standard 8-1-2 Sleeper

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Walthers Standard 8-1-2 Sleeper
From: "Myers, Scott V." <svmyers@southernco.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:24:48 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Recently I asked for comments on the Walthers Standard Diner and its
accuracy for CB&Q cars.  I see the 8-1-2 Pullman sleeper is also on sale
for $30 through the end of this month.  It is available in both CB&Q and
Pullman options.  Branchline also has an 8-1-2 Pullman in Pullman Green
but unlettered, which I think has been produced.  (Maybe someone can
confirm this.)  Both are for plan 3979a shown in the Glick book on page
44.

As I recall from previous discussions on the Walthers car,  the
Burlington version is incorrect, as it should either be lettered for
Pullman or the letterboard left blank.  It was suggested that buying the
Pullman rather than the Burlington version was one's best option, I
believe.  Am I remembering this correctly?  I see BB#42 on the
Exposition Flyer has a photo and discussion on the 8-1-2 Pullmans on
page 246.  It shows the "John M. Forbes" with "Pullman" on the
letterboard and the car name under the windows.

If one uses the Branchline model, what is available for "Pullman" decals
and for either model, what decals can be used for the car names?
Microscale set #87-752 CB&Q Heavyweight and Streamlined Passenger Cars
(1940-1970) does not contain either "Pullman" or the correct car names
for this sleeper.

Thanks,

Scott Myers