[CBQ] Re: Q "Suburbanaire" Service

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Q "Suburbanaire" Service
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:29:19 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Charlie,

Knowing Q practices, you may be quite correct. I don't know whether
the power cars were rebuilt at West B. or Aurora, or both. I believe
that the Gas Electrics were both maintained and modified/stripped at
West B. based on photos that I have seen. On my early business visits
to West B. in the late '60s, I was struck by the fact that the
equipment and many of the people had been around for a long time,
including the Shop Superintendent, Lee George. There was a tremendous
amount of experience and knowledge in that shop back then! Drawings
for repairs and modifications were often done with an impromptu
meeting on the shop floor with a piece of chalk and a sketch done on
an end sheet or side panel. They worked, too! While, from a business
standpoint, I didn't agree with all of their practices, I have a very
high regard for what those shop people could do, frugal or not. They
had been doing for themselves for a very long time. They really knew
how to make equipment work. No job was too big for them to tackle and
they were proud of what they produced.

Bill Barber