RE: [CBQ] "Q" Empire Builder Cars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] "Q" Empire Builder Cars
From: "Dave Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 08:42:28 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bill,

According to Robert Wayner?s ?Car Names Numbers and Consists,? the ?Lake of
the Isles? was originally GN 1250, but was transferred to the CB&Q in
September of 1953 along with:
Baggage Mail #41
Baggage-Dormitory #1202
Chair Cars #1211, #1219, #1220
?Ranch? lunch Counter-lounge #1243 ?Iceberg Lake?
Sleeping Cars #1266 ?Sheyenne River,? #1269 ?Poplar River,? #1273 ?Pend O?
Reille River,? #1371 ?Pitakamakin Pass,? #1378 ?Firebrand Pass,? and #1382
?Blewett Pass?
Buffet Lounge Observation Car #1291 ?St. Nicholas Mountain

This followed the June 1953 transfer of CB&Q-owned cars to the GN:
Baggage Mail #1104
Chair Car #1132

Later in July of 1955, these cars were transferred from the CB&Q to the GN
Chair Cars #1133, #1134
Dormitory-Lunch Counter Dinette car #1144 ?Red Eagle Lake?
Dining Car #1154 ?Lake Michigan?
Sleeper #1168 ?Red Gap Pass?

I was not able to find a photo of the 1250 ? but in David Hickcox?s Morning
Sun ?GN Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment?  one of the cars
transferred to the Q in 1953, #1273 ?Pend O?Reille River? is shown lettered
CB&Q on Page 9 in July of 1964

Hope this helps!

Dave Lotz
Pooler, GA