Re: [CBQ] Re: Q "Suburbanaire" Service

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Q "Suburbanaire" Service
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:24:31 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bill-
I don't recall where the commuter fleet upgrades were done either if I ever
knew....
It wouldn't make that much difference as the Eola Reclamation Plant (not scrap
yard!!!) would have saved, tagged and shipped any parts deemed of possible
reuse value to wherever it was needed.
I didn't intend any slight by referring to the Q's frugal leanings... being of
Bohemian heritage that is a Prime Character Attribute, not a fault!!!  You are
also correct about the resourcefulness and talent of the people working for the
Q....  they did more with less than any other railroad.  It wasn't a duct tape
and bailing wire outfit;
they just spent money where they would get the most bang for the buck and only
when it was necessary.   The Q was at the forefront of the railroad industry in
terms of design, testing, and utilization of equipment and certainly was a
source for much of the exectutive talent in the entire industry.
I find the entire development of railroads fasinating as they served as a
template for the development of modern industry and military organizations
prior to the Civil War and continuing into the 20th century.
Charlie Vlk